Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Girls Got Kicks

Anyone who knows me, knows about my hard core sneaker addiction.  As far back as I can remember I was always concerned about keeping my feet looking flossy; from my first pair of British Knights High Tops in 3rd grade to my custom made Dunks I rocked for our wedding. 


Like the good addict that I am, I have successfully passed down my sneaker dependency on to my children.  I am now responsible for keeping 4 pairs of feet fitted in the freshest kicks; a task that is both time consuming and expensive considering 3 pairs of those feet change size almost every month!  

Chuli's newest pair: Adidas Toy Story Edition
Rio rocked her first pair f kicks before she could walk 

 While becoming a Mama of 3 has definitely forced me to downsize my own sneaker collection, seeing my girls strutting in a dope pair of kicks and getting super pumped about opening a new shoe box, makes every pair I have had to leave on the shoe store shelf completely worth it.  For me raising 3 little female sneaker-heads is about much more than just looking cute (although they definitely have the cute factor covered).  There is a sense of empowerment that comes from being a female sneaker head.  Our kicks get noticed and appreciated by men & women alike and let's the world know that my girls are always ready to run, play and get dirty (but not too dirty that they mess up the kicks!).  The right of pair of fresh kicks is the perfect symbol for my fabulously fierce tough little cookies!

A few years ago, I met an amazing lady named Lori Lobenstein who is the founder or femalesneakerfiend.com.  Justice, Chuli and I were invited to participate in a photo shoot for Lori's book Girls Got Kicks, "the first ever photo documentary of badass females, told from a unique angle: their passion for sneakers".   

This Thursday October 20, is the San Francisco book release party for Girls Got Kicks.  If you are in the Bay Area, put on your freshest pair of sneakers and come down to check out the book and find out what being a Female Sneaker Fiend is all about.  Me and my girls will be there...now I just have to go through the shoe racks to figure out which pairs we will be rocking!


To find out more about the Girls Got Kicks book and San Francisco Book Release Party check out:

And check out Lori Lobenstein's post about Mama Sneaker Fiends featuring Justice, Chuli & I on:

2 comments:

  1. Y'all are awesome! I checked out the article that you posted on facebook--pretty sure yours is the coolest family around. You're totally right; there's something so bad ass about a girl in sneakers. I know this second-hand, as the only sneakers I own are the ones I wear to the gym. I'm a high heel girl through & through . . . but I love the way you, J, & C (and baby Rio!) rock your sneakers.

    *That said, I did buy ONE pair of sneakers in 2005 (I remember b/c I bought them the day of the Stan Tookie Williams execution, cause I didn't want to stand outside the prison for hours in heels). They were silver & gold metallic le coq sportif's and I looooooooooved them. I still have them, though they're not as bright as they used to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! we have something in common, I LOVE sneakers! I saw that you had custom Nike sneakers for your wedding and just wondered how you got yours custom designed? I have looked everywhere and no luck... apart from the Nike iD website which doesn't really give much choice other than colour. I'm getting married in July 2013 (this year) and would love to get married in a pair that is no doubt one of a kind!

    Please get back in touch! email: jc_mad@hotmail.co.uk

    Thanks!
    Jenna :)

    ReplyDelete